There are few springtime treats that can rival the simple elegance of this sweet concoction. Making a syrup of violets is simple, delicious, and delivers the most beautiful lavender color.
Syrup of violets is the perfect springtime and early summer treat that’s perfect for special celebrations like Mother’s Day, bridal showers and weddings. It’s also the perfect ingredient in springtime beverages and seasonal cocktails or mocktails.
Violet Simple Syrup is romantic, floral & feminine. The possibilities are endless!
Gather violet flowers by pinching them off of the stems. You only want the flowers (no stems, no green parts).
Place your violet flowers in a clean glass mason jar or other heat proof container.
Bring the cup of water to a boil. Pour the boiling water over the violet petals. Cover and let sit at room temperature for 24 hours. After 24 hours, your liquid will be the most gorgeous violet color and will be ready to be turned into syrup.
Pour the liquid and the petals into the top of a double boiler. If you don’t have one, you can simply put an inch or two of water in a pot over medium-high heat and set another heat-proof container inside the larger pot. Put the violets and their infusion into the inner heat proof container.
Add the cup of sugar. Cook the syrup over the steam created by the double boiler, stirring often, until the sugar is completely dissolved. Note: use regular white sugar only in order to produce a syrup with the bright violet color we desire.
Strain the syrup through a fine mesh sieve to remove the flower petals.
Let the syrup cool to room temperature, then transfer to glass jars, label them, and store in the refrigerator.
Note: Violet syrup will keep for up to 6 months refrigerated.
Ways to Use Syrup of Violets
- Add violet simple syrup to lemonade or sparkling water for a pretty, refreshing spring drink
- Make a cocktail – Such as violet infused French 75 – with gin, champagne, and lemon juice.
- Use a bit to create a glaze for cakes or cookies.
- Drizzle over desserts or fruit salad.
- Drizzle over vanilla ice cream for a lovely dessert.
More to Explore
- The Best Old Fashioned Pickled Beets: Spiced With Cinnamon & Clove
- The 6 Basics of Permaculture Design: Starting a Sustainable Garden
- Permaculture Gardening: Work With Nature for Amazing Results
- Use the Amazing Power of the Sun to Infuse Herbs
- Amazing Saint John’s Wort Plant: Identification, Benefits, Uses
Disclaimer- I am not a medical professional. All information shared here is for information and entertainment only. Do your own research and consult your health care provider before treating yourself with any product, plant or mixture.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.