This surprising and delicious dessert recipe with yellow squash is our favorite way to eat this summer vegetable. With a creamy custard texture and vanilla flavor, it is sure to impress. Even picky eaters will love it!
If you do any kind of summer garden and grow summer squash, then you know how much squash one plant can produce… ALOT! And while we love eating yellow squash, ther’s only so many ways to prepare it. In all honesty, my family gets sick of eating it after a while. That is until I introduced them to this dessert recipe with yellow squash. They were blown away by its deliciousness and couldn’t believe it ws made with yellow squash.
This recipe is so simple; there’s no need for any fancy ingredients or equipment. It requires just a few simple ingredients—all of which are easy to find at your local grocery store—and takes less than 30 minutes to prepare.
I know what you’re thinking: “There’s no way I can get my family to eat more yellow squash. They’ve tried it, and they just don’t like it.”
But guess what? This recipe will change everything. So what are you waiting for? Try this delicious dessert recipe with yellow squash tonight!
Thinking about growing summer squash? Read this before you begin: How to Easily Grow Zucchini and Yellow Squash from Seed
Making the Recipe With Yellow Squash
This recipe is super simple and only takes a few minutes to prepare. The hardest part is slicing the squash, but even that isn’t very hard. Just follow the steps below and you’ll have a delicious dessert prepared in no time!
Step 1. Prepare the Squash
Before you do anything else, start by preheating your oven to 375 degrees.
Choose 3 or 4 medium yellow squash. Slice them thinly, but don’t peel them—as long as the squash hasn’t grown too large, the skin won’t be tough. Place the sliced squash into a covered casserole dish and pop it in the microwave on high for about 6 minutes. Drain well to remove excess liquid.
Step 2. Make the Custard Filling
Melt the butter in the microwave and then add it to the sugar, vanilla, salt, flour, eggs and milk. Using a mixer, blend all together on medium speed for about a minute.
Step 3. Mix it All Together & Bake
Add the custard mixture to the cooked squash and mix together, then pour it all into a 9×13 buttered baking dish (you can use cooking spray).
Bake for about 40 minutes or until the top begins to turn golden brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Step 4. Enjoy!
This is wonderful served warm with a dollop of whipped cream or cool whip, but we have also enjoyed it just as well served right out of the fridge the following day.
I hope you will try this recipe and that you and your family enjoy it as much as we do. It’s also a great way to sneak more vegetables into your diet!
Yellow Squash Custard Dessert
- 3 -4 medium yellow squash unpeeled and cooked
- 3 ⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 1 ⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 ⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 12 ounces evaporated milk, half and half or heavy cream
- Whipped Cream of Cool Whip
- Slice the summer squash (unpeeled) into thin slices with a chef's knife, a mandolin, or with the slicing attachment for the KitchenAid mixer. Cook in a covered caserole dish on high for 6 minutes in the microwave. Drain
- In a large mixing bowl add the melted butter, sugar, vanilla, salt, flour, eggs, and milk together and beat on medium speed for about a minute. Add the cooked squash and mix together well.
- Pour mixture into a buttered 9" X 13" baking dish.
- Bake in 375 degree oven for 40 minutes, or until slightly golden brown and a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Serve slightly warm with whipped cream.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.