Zucchini is a favorite summer vegetable and this recipe for zucchini bread makes it even better. Blending in vanilla extract, cozy cinnamon spice and of course zucchini creates a moist delicious bread that’s sure to be a family favorite. And if you’re like me and have what seems to be a TON of zucchini, then this recipe is for you. It uses up 2 cups of shredded zucchini per loaf and can easily be doubled. It freezes well too, so you can easily whip up a few of these in and afternoon, pop them in the freezer and take them out to enjoy when the summer garden has passed.
Thinking about growing your own zucchini? Read this before you get started: How to Easily Grow Zucchini and Yellow Squash from Seed
This recipe for zucchini bread recipe comes from my mother and was passed down to me. It’s super easy to make—you’ll have it in the oven in no time flat—and the ingredients are ones you’ll likely have on hand. When I make it with my daughters, we all enjoy a little chuckle about how when my youngest daughter was a toddler, she called it ‘bikini bread.’
Reasons to Love this Recipe for Zucchini Bread
- It’s so easy to make – the batter comes together in less than 5 minutes
- It’s super moist and flavorful
- Sneaks in veggies – the kids won’t even know!
- Can easily be doubled
- Great with add-ins like chocolate chips, nuts, or blueberries (my favorite)
- Makes excellent muffins
- Freezes beautifully
This quick bread recipe is easy for beginners to master, and it’s a great project for young bakers who are ready to help in the kitchen.
Why Bake with Zucchini?
I love baking with zucchini, and I have a few published recipes using this summer vegetable. In my savory zucchini pie, we use 4 cups of shredded zucchini, while in my zucchini pancakes recipe we use 1 and 1/2 cups. You can also add some to this summer vegetable tart.
Baking with vegetables may sound odd, but there are some tasty reasons why you should give it a try.
- It’s a great way to use up an over abundance of this summer vegetable.
- Zucchini adds moistness to baked goods without adding any discernible vegetable flavor. In fact, I don’t think I would bake a cake with a green vegetable if I could taste it. Well zucchini is even better! It’s truly a magical ingredient in your baked goods.
- You can sneak this veggie into baked goods and finally get your kids to eat a green vegetable. Even kids like zucchini bread!
What Ingredients Do I Need?
This super easy recipe for zucchini bread calls for simple ingredients that you’re sure to already have on hand. Here’s what you’ll need:
- zucchini (shredded)
- White sugar
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Vegetable oil
- Optional Add-ins (nuts, chocolate chips, blueberries)
Mixing it All Together
I love this recipe because it’s so easy to make. You’ll start by beating the eggs, sugar and oil together in a large bowl. Then you add in the flour, baking powder, soda, cinnamon, salt, vanilla, and any add-ins and mix all together by hand. Add in the zucchini and mix to combine either by hand or with the mixer. You don’t need to sift the dry ingredients separately or dirty two or more bowls. This truly is the simplest and best recipe for zucchini bread especially if you’re trying to use up an excess of zucchini by making several loaves at once (like I usually do).
Pour into two greased and floured 9×5 loaf pans and bake for about 1 hour at 350 degrees. The recipe may be doubled.
You also need a grater to shred the zucchini. If you’re looking for recommendations, I own and love this box grater and is what I use when grating small amounts of zucchini, but when I’m making several loaves at a time I use the shredder attachment for the KitchenAid mixer. It makes the job so much easier and quicker.
Easy Zucchini Bread
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups shredded zucchini strained with excess moisture squeezed out
- 1 3/4 cups white sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- t teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup add-ins nuts, chocolate chips, blueberries
- Beat eggs, sugar and oil together.
- Add flour, baking powder, soda, cinnamon, salt, vanilla and optional add-ins. Mix together by hand.
- Add zucchini and mix all together.
- Pour into 2 9x5 inch greased and floured loaf pans.
- Bake for about 1 hour at 350 degrees or until knife inserted into center comes out clean. Recipe may be doubled
More Recipes from The Garden
I hope you’ve enjoyed this recipe for zucchini bread as much as my family loves it. If you’re looking for other ways to use up your garden harvests or are interested in cooking with wild edibles or foraged foods, check out the recipe index or the links below for more ideas. I’m adding new recipes every week!
- Best Zucchini Pie Recipe with All-Purpose Baking Mix
- Amazing Recipe for Zucchini Pancakes
- Easy Tart Recipe with Herbs and Fresh Summer Vegetables
- Small Batch Zucchini Relish Recipe: A Delicious Way To Preserve the Season
- A Surprising and Delightful Dessert Recipe with Yellow Squash
- 10 Best Recipes for Yellow Squash
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.