This recipe for shortcake biscuits is simple to make and yields the perfect biscuit for shortcakes. They take just 30 minutes from start to finish.
I’ve been lucky enough to find a lot of wild blueberries, black huckleberries, and blackberries recently. I’ve taken advantage of this by adding berries to everything and making a lot of berry desserts. In summer there is no better fresh berry dessert than shortcake; be it strawberry, blueberry, raspberry, or blackberry. To have a great berry shortcake you need to have a delicious biscuit to serve it on. A shortcake made with store-bought biscuits is fine, but homemade biscuits are far superior! Here’s how to make the best shortcake biscuits.
At my house, heavy cream is always in the fridge during the summer. It’s used to make homemade whipped cream for desserts and it’s an important ingredient in this easy shortcake biscuit recipe. It’s quick and easy to make, using no butter—just heavy cream. From start to finish, it takes just 30 minutes!
Tips for Making the Perfect Shortcake Biscuits:
- To keep these biscuits tender, it’s important not to overmix the batter. Just mix until the dough comes together.
- You can use a simple biscuit cutter or a glass to cut out the biscuits for this shortcake biscuit recipe.
- The biscuits can be stored, covered, at room temperature for up to 3 days. Before serving, pop them in the microwave for 5-10 seconds to soften.
- The biscuits would be delicious served with other in-season fruit. I’ve made shortcakes with strawberries. blackberries, wild blueberries, peaches, and even apples.
Preparing the shortcake biscuits
- Start by pre-heating the oven to 450 degrees as well as spraying a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray – or if you have a baking stone as I do, use this unsprayed.
- Next, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Then, stir in the heavy cream until a dough forms.
- Next, knead the ball of dough on a floured surface until it forms a smooth ball.
- Pat the dough into a 1-inch thick circle.
- With a 2 ¾-inch biscuit cutter or drinking glass held upside down, cut biscuits and place them on the baking sheet. Repeat the process by reforming the dough scraps into a dough ball and patting them out into a 1-inch circle until all scraps are used.
- Bake the biscuits for 25 minutes. Last of all, after the biscuits have finished cooling, cut them in half and serve with whipped cream and berries.
Now that you know the secrets to perfect shortcake biscuits, it’s time to put them into action. Put your biscuits in the oven and watch how they rise to form light and fluffy biscuits. Serve them with a tall glass of cold milk and a hot cup of tea or coffee. You’ve never tasted anything quite as wonderful!
Better yet, try this blueberry shortcake recipe: Blueberry Shortcake: The Most Amazing Blueberry Dessert. It offers an amazing twist on the traditional blueberry shortcake by adding a layer of creamy vanilla custard pastry cream whose secret incredient makes it easy to prepare in about 5 minutes!
Easy 30 Minute Shortcake Biscuits
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees F. Lightly spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir in the heavy cream until a dough forms, about 30 seconds.
- Empty the dough onto a floured surface and knead into a smooth ball, this will take about 30 seconds. On a floured surface pat the dough into a 1-inch thick circle. Using a 2 3/4 inch (or 3 inch) biscuit cutter, cut biscuits and place on the prepared baking sheet. Pat out dough scraps into a 1-inch thick circle and cut again.
- Bake 25 minutes, or until the biscuits are golden brown. Transfer biscuits to a wire rack to cool. Cut biscuits in half and serve with whipped cream and berries. Biscuits can be served warm or at room temperature.