Are you an herbalist or a beginner herbalist just getting started? Below you will find an essential list of tools, resources, and educational opportunities to help you further your herbalist journey.
- Alchemical Solutions
Sells a variety of organic alcohol, including organic grape alcohol for gluten-free tinctures
- Bulk Herb Store Certified Organic Bulk Herbs, Spices, Teas, Tinctures, Smoothie Mixes and Salves.
- Free Verse Farm A small herb farm and apothecary in Vermont specializing in naturally-grown teas, culinary herbs, bulk herbs, herbal remedies, and herbal body care.
Essential Oils and Aromatics
- Foster Farm Botanicals Micro batches of Chamomile, Red Clover, Calendula, and California Poppy. The blossoms
are hand-picked with care and are sold both fresh to order and dried.
- Frontier Co-op
Bulk herbs, spices, bottles, presses, strainers and infusers.
- From Nature With Love Specializes in the procurement and supply of premium quality natural, organic and conventional ingredients for skin care, hair care, cosmetic, beauty, spa and aromatherapy applications.
- Harding’s Ginseng Farm
wild-simulated ginseng and organic goldenseal from Maryland
- Herban Farmacy
Herbal CSA shares, herbal products + education and ecological farming.
- Island Herbs
Operated by herbalist Ryan Drum. This is one of the few places you can buy bull kelp, which is used in some of our recipes (he sells it as kelp). He also sells sustainably wildcrafted bulk herbs.
- Maine Coast Sea Vegetables
Specializes in sustainably harvested seaweeds from the North Atlantic.
- Mountain Gardens
Joe Hollis has created a botanical sanctuary of medicinals, he sells seeds and custom blends of herbs and tinctures. Joe offers traditional apprenticeships and is an expert at growing Chinese and Ayurvedic herbs.
- Mountain Rose Herbs
Bulk organic herbs, spices, essential oils. bottles, presses, seeds, extracts, books
- Mushroom Harvest
Medicinal mushroom powders, extracts, and capsules. Ohio
- One Willow Apothecaries
Gluten-free tinctures, teas, flower essences & other herbal goodies. Grown, wildcrafted & made with love in Asheville, NC.
- Organic Creations
soap, cosmetic wholesale supply
- Oshala Farm
A certified organic family-run farm in the beautiful Applegate Valley of Southern Oregon. Located among the Siskiyou Mountains with clean water and fertile soils, they grow a variety of medicinal and culinary crops.
- Pacific Botanicals
Growers and Suppliers of Organic bulk herbs, ships fresh herbs
Organic grain ethanol for making tinctures
- Rosemary’s Garden
Herbal apothecary founded by Rosemary Gladstar in the 1970s. They carry essential oils, organic herbs, herbal remedies, tea blends and a wide variety of personal care products.
- SKS Bottle & Packaging
Fancy bottles, jars, wide selection
- Specialty Bottle Company
Bottles, jars, containers, affordable
- Starwest Botanicals On-line supply source for bulk herbs and natural products.
An urban homestead supply + design shop in west Asheville with a workshops covering a variety of sustainable lifestyle activities.
- Zack Woods Herb Farm
Certified organic medicinal herb farm in Vermont.
If you are looking for herbal education, then there’s bound to be something on this list for you.
Courses marked with an * denote BIPOC-led (Black Indigenous People of Color) schools
+ denotes LGBTQIA+ led schools
- Acorn School of Herbal Medicine – Offers Educational Programs in Western Herbalism with Clinical Approaches to Plant Medicine and Vitalist Healing.
- Ancestral Apothecary School* – Dedicated to the study of herbal, folk, and indigenous medicine in the Bay Area.
- Appalachia School of Holistic Herbalism – Asheville, NC. – The Southeast’s oldest herbal studies school, Appalachia School of Holistic Herbalism offers life-enhancing skills to impart deep wellness and vitality.
- Arctos School of Herbal and Botanical Studies – Portland, Oregon -Offers classes in herbal medicine, botanical identification, mushroom foraging, medicinal herb gardening, and more
- Atabey School of Cultural Healing* -Reclaiming the wisdom, culture, and healing of earth-based praxis.
- Ayurvedic Institute – Albuquerque, NM. – Provides authentic education in a supportive environment that encourages the integration of Ayurveda by individuals into their daily living and by health care professionals into their clinical practices.
- Bastyr University – Seattle, Wa. Offering herbal and naturopathic degrees
- Blue Otter School of Herbal Medicine – A unique learning experience blending grounded knowledge of the plants with an understanding of energy and self.
- Blue Ridge School of Herbal Medicide – Corey Pine Shane’s herbal medicine school in Asheville
- Botanologos School for Herbal Studies – Patricia Howell’s program in Georgia
- California School of Herbal Studies – One of the oldest running schools of herbal medicine in the country, located in Sonoma County
- Chestnut School of Herbal Medicine – Programs focus on growing herbs and edible and medicinal weeds. Asheville, NC
- Colorado School of Clinical Herbalism – Offering Fundamentals, Advanced, and Clinical certifications in Vitalist Herbalism, Clinical Nutrition, Field Botany, Aromatherapy, and Flower Essences
- Columbines School of Botanical Studies – Howie Brounstein’s school in Eugene, Oregon
- David Winston’s Center for Herbal Studies – Broadway, NJ – Focus on differential diagnosis skills, materia medica, and therapeutics which are essential to individualize treatment and help patients to not only resolve symptoms but create constitutional change needed for physical, emotional, and spiritual wellness.
- EarthSong Herbals – Margi Flint’s school and practice in Marblehead, Mass.
- Eclectic School of Herbal Medicine – Thomas Easley’s school in Low Gap, NC
- Farmacy Herbs – Providence, RI -In-person herbalist school
- Green Path Herb School – Based in Missoula, MT, Green Path offers several herb programs designed for the beginning student to the advanced practitioner.
- Green Wisdom School of Natural & Botanical Medicine+ – (Upper Midwest U.S. + parts of Ontario, Canada) – Offers students inspiring learning experiences with courses ranging from short exploratory several hour workshops to professional Complementary Alternative Medicine, clinical immersion programs.
- Heart of Herbs Herbal School – Fully supported online education, you will find audio, video links, and other traditional learning materials.
- Herbal Academy of New England – Online courses and rich resources for herbal learning
- Herbal Freedom School – BIPOC Communiversity*+ – A liberatory, decolonial, intersectional perspective on plant medicine that centers the voices of indigenous, black, brown, queer, trans, and gender non-conforming folks.
- Herbal Medicine for Women – Aviva Romm’s distance learning program
- Joie Power’s Aromatherapy School – Aromatherapy School in the southern Appalachians
- La Mala Yerba* Herbalism, BIPOC, rites of passage, healing, ancestors, nomadic, native, indigenous, reclamation, sinverguenza, unapologetic.
- LearningHerbs – LearningHerbs is a small, family-owned business dedicated to helping people learn about the nourishing and healing qualities of plants
- Living Awareness Institute – Kami McBride’s school featuring online classes
- Medicine Lodge Ranch – An herbal and natural medicine school located in the heart of New Mexico’s Santa Fe National Forest.
- Maryland University of Integrative Health – Offering a Masters degree in Herbal Medicine, formerly Tai Sophia Institute
- Mountain Gardens – Joe Hollis has created a botanical sanctuary of medicinals, he sells seeds and custom blends of herbs and tinctures. Joe offers traditional apprenticeships and is an expert at growing Chinese and Ayurvedic herbs.
- Native Roots School of Ancestral Folk and Indigenous Medicine (NM & CO)* – Native Roots is an Ancestral Folk and Herbal Medicine Collective & School that was created to honor the elders and to hold space for traditional medicine.
- Natural Choices Botanica School of Herbalism and Holistic Health* –
- The NCB School of Herbalism is the oldest African American School in the U.S.
- We focus on learning the traditional ways of learning & healing the mind, body & spirit!
- North American Institute of Medical Herbalism – Paul Bergner’s program in Boulder, Colorado
- Northeast School of Botanical Medicine -7Song’s school in Ithaca, NY specializes in field botany and bioregional grassroots herbal medicine.
- Northwest School for Botanical Studies – Christa Sinadinos’ school in Arcata, Ca.
- Ohlone Center for Herbal Studies – Berkley, Ca. Clinical Program – An herbal medicine school. A variety of classes are offered, from herb walks to a formal clinical herbalist training program.
- Old Ways Herbal – Herbal education, consultations, medicinal plants, and remedies from forest and farm. Newfane, Vermont
- Philo School of Energetics – Mary Pat Palmer’s school and botanical sanctuary in the coastal Redwoods of California
- Rootwork Herbalism School* – Serving the community through herbal education, consultations, and handcrafted remedies that are high quality and accessible to all.
- Rosemary Gladstar’s The Science & Art of Herbalism Online Course – The Science & Art of Herbalism home study course is a ten lesson course taken at your own pace, with homework review and guidance provided by carefully selected herbalists and Rosemary herself.
- Sacred Vibes Healing: The Art and Practice of Spiritual Herbalism* -The Art and Practice of Spiritual Herbalism program offer you a deeper way of thinking, encouraging radical theories of self-healing and ultimately community healing to take shape in your mind, resulting in a transformation of mind, body, and spirit.
- Sage Mountain’s The Science & Art of Herbalism Online Course – A comprehensive overview of herbalism that prepares the student to competently and effectively use herbs for home health care.
- SANKOFA: Reclaiming Healing Traditions of the African Diaspora* – This class centers the Black diasporic experience. It is an intentional space, open to bipoc, with priority given to Black applicants. Herbalists of all levels are welcome.
- School of Evolutionary Herbalism – In-depth online programs and live workshops on a broad spectrum of herbal traditions with a unique twist.
- School of Traditional Western Herbalism – Portland, Oregon – Live, in-person and online herbalist certificate courses.
- Southwest School for Botanical Medicine – The late Michael Moore’s distant learning videos and many archived Eclectic herbal texts and photo archives.
- The Bellebuono School of Herbal Medicine – Holly Bellebuono’s school on Martha’s Vineyard, Massachusetts, and online
- The School for Aromatic Studies – Herbal and Aromatherapy Courses throughout the country, distance learning
- Vermont Center for Integrative Herbalism – Montpelier, Vt. Offering a 3-year clinical herbalist training program
- Vitalist School of Herbology – Ashland, Oregon – Offers a number of programs for those interested in studying holistic health and herbology on various levels, from beginners to clinical study.
- Wild Ginger’s Online Herbal Medicine Course – Offers a variety of online courses through our online herbal school, as well as live, in-person in Maryland as well as Costa Rica.
- Wildflower School of Botanical Medicine – Nicole Telke’s herbal school in Austin Texas. Nicole is a wildcrafter, activist, and massage therapist extraordinaire.
- Wisdom of the Herbs School – Earth-centered herbal education in Woodbury, Vermont
- Xálish Earth Medicines* – Courses designed to deepen your relationship with the Land, and begin working with the Plants, Land, Moon & Stars through ancient wisdom and harmony.
Labels, Labels & More Labels
For everything you have, label it with the common name, botanical name, date, and contact information if you’re giving formulas to friends or family. You can use any labeling system you like. Simple Avery labels work fine or an electronic Dymo printer. I also love these gorgeous assorted apothecary labels.
Free Printable Labels
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.