These Old Fashioned Pickled Beets are Special
Lightly sweet, tangy and spiced with cinnamon and cloves, these old fashioned pickled beets are so good that they’ll win over just about everyone in your house.
When I planted beet seeds in my permaculture garden this spring, I never guessed that I’d end up with so many beets come summer! I don’t mind at all because beets are one of my all-time favorite vegetables. I love them in borscht soup, roasted, and in summer salads with walnuts, feta cheese and balsamic dressing, but by far, my favorite way to eat them is pickled.
This recipe I am about to share is an old fashioned pickled beets recipe that my mother taught me and is my go-to for easy refrigerator pickled beets. This recipe uses a combination of white vinegar, sugar, salt, cinnamon and clove spices. The combination is amazing! I love the warm scents of cinnamon and clove that fill my kitchen as I prepare this easy recipe.
If you’re like me and have a lot of beets to use up, then you’ll love this recipe. You can double, triple, or even quadruple it depending on how many beets you have. Don’t worry about making too much. It seems that no matter how big a batch I make, my family has no trouble gobbling them up and then asking for more, they’re that good!
These old fashioned pickled beets are a great way to liven up any meal, but they’re also an easy way to add some color and unique flavor to any spread. Pickled beets are healthy, and these homemade ones are sure to become a holiday favorite in your household. Enjoy!
Old Fashioned Pickled Beets
- 2 cups sliced cooked beets
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- Scrub beets and trim tops to remove leaves. Place in a Dutch oven or large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until tender, 25-35 minutes. Remove from water; cool. Peel beets and quarter. Cut each quarter into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- In a medium saucepan combine the vinegar, sugar, water, salt, and spices.
- Bring to boiling, stirring occasionally.
- Add 2 cups of sliced, cooked beets. Return to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Cool on counter before placing in refrigerator to chill for at least 8 hours before serving.
- Store covered in refrigerated for up to one month. I doubt they'll last that long!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.